Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Shamisen Week 8 Lesson

Two months of lessons and I sometimes wonder if I am making significant progress. It doesn't get any easier as time goes on. I am still enjoying myself immensely and still look forward to practicing every day. However, I sometimes wonder if my instructor thinks I am a worthwhile pupil because of my slow progress, but I keep trying.

No new notes or techniques were taught in this session. However, a second song was introduced that uses close to 100 percent of all the notes learned so far. The transitioning is hard as you jump from note to note utilizing everything I have learned so far. I have to interpret the note, move my fingers to the correct sao position, then strike the ito and move on to the next note and repeat. It is frustrating how slow I sometimes react and the many mistakes I make. Patience.

My instructor has gone to Japan on a concert tour. I will not have any lessons for the next three weeks. To keep this blog consistent as a weekly expose on learning the sangen, Weeks 9, 10, and 11 lessons will not be recorded or posted as such. The next weekly blog post will be for Week 12 in late June. However, I will be posting the new song, some additional lessons, and some other information that hopefully will prove useful for any of you following along in learning the sangen on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment